Equipment Review: Callaway Apex DCB 21 Golf Irons vs TaylorMade P790 Golf Irons
Callaway and TaylorMade are two of the biggest names in the golfing world, renowned for their premium quality golf equipment and apparel. In fact, 50% of the top PGA tour players carry Callaway or TaylorMade irons in their bag!
As a leading stockist of golf clubs and sets, we are delighted to provide irons from both Callaway and TaylorMade here at Clarkes’ Golf Centre – including the much loved Apex DCB 21 irons and P790 irons.
The question is, which should you choose?
Callaway Apex DCB 21 Golf Irons
Callaway is constantly striving to make their products appealing to a broader market, and the Apex DCB 21 golf irons are the most forgiving in the Apex family.
They combine the look, feel, and performance of a forged players club with the forgiveness of a deep cavity back design.
- Boasting a chunkier design, the Callaway Apex DCB 21 irons are ideal for mid and high handicap players.
- The improved shape helps enhance the feel through the turf.
- They’re engineered for impressive distance and greater control.
- Tungsten weight assists with consistently getting the ball airborne.
- Flash Face Cup technology delivers fast ball speeds, allowing for consistent distance.
- Made from 1025 carbon steel, the Apex DCB 21 golf irons offer exceptional sound and feel at contact, with feedback you’d expect from tour-grade irons!
- Though great for distance, feel, and launch, the Callaway Apex DCB 21 golf irons don’t offer much help with off-centre shots.
- They have a slightly lower spin rate, which can make it tough to hold some greens.
- The Apex DCB 21 irons cost several hundred pounds, making them a significant investment.
TaylorMade P790 Golf Irons
Typically reserved for the best players, the TaylorMade P790 are surprisingly forgiving forged irons.
Immediately apparent with the P790 golf irons from TaylorMade is how compact they look at address. They almost look like players’ irons.
- Jam-packed with technology – such as the thru-slot speed pocket, SpeedFoam, and inverted cone technology – the TaylorMade P790 irons will add distance and forgiveness.
- Forged hollow body construction and SpeedFoam Air increases flexibility and ball speeds whilst upholding exceptional sound and feel.
- 69% lighter than its predecessor, SpeedFoam Air unlocks the thinnest face yet, with an intelligent sweet spot that’s been cleverly repositioned to capture more shots.
- Boasting thin-wall construction, a forged L-Face, and tungsten weighting, the P790 irons produce optimal launch with more forgiveness.
- Not recommended for beginners or high handicappers.
- Costing around the £1,000 mark, TaylorMade P790 golf irons are pricey.
Which irons are the best for you?
The simple answer is that it depends on your experience level, personal preference, and budget.
If you’re a high to mid handicapper, or new to golf, the Callaway Apex DCB 21 golf irons are a solid choice. These are currently on special offer here at Clarkes’ Golf Centre – down from £909 to £859 – plus you can save 20% on any Callaway golf bag or wedge.
Alternatively, if you’re a mid handicapper, low handicapper, or pro, we recommend the TaylorMade P790 golf irons. These are also ideal if you’re after a forgiving set of forged irons that are brimming with high-technology features.
If money is tight, rest assured – the P790 golf irons are available for a reduced price online, and if you buy today, you’ll also receive the TaylorMade TP5 Pix golf balls free of charge!
To find out more about the Callaway Apex DCB golf irons and the TaylorMade P790 golf irons, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
If you need expert advice choosing the most suitable irons for your game, you’re also welcome to call us on 01744 885 294 or visit us in-store.
You’ll find us just off the A570 Rainford Bypass in St Helens.